Skip to content

6 Step Guide to Applying at Carroll University

Use this guide as your checklist to help you with the admissions process and beyond, at Carroll University. If you need help, email us at or call us at 262-650-4807.

Once you have completed this process, visit the other pages on our Military and Veterans Services site for the programs provided at Carroll University.


1. Apply to Carroll! There are no fees for application. Evaluation for acceptance generally takes one to three weeks and is done on a rolling basis.

Carroll University is committed to the clearest path for college admittance through our Non-Traditional admissions process. Generally, military/veteran students have some college credits even though you may not have attended a previous campus. Most then are considered Transfer/Non-Traditional students.

Provide transcripts and test scores as needed and your DD-214 for credits you might have earned while in the service.

  • Military and/or official high school transcripts (except the Air Force) can be ordered from the Joint Services Transcript (JST) system.
  • Air Force members can receive their transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) system.
  • Official transcripts from all other colleges/universities should be sent to the Office of Admission: Carroll University, 100 N. East Ave., Waukesha, WI 53186.
  • Academic Report form: print this from our website at 

Carroll University evaluates all military training as part of the admission process.  Carroll University will award credit for Basic Training in accordance with the ACE recommendations on the Joint Service Transcript.  Basic Training credits are also awarded for Air Force personnel based on the evaluation of the Community College of the Air Force transcript.  Elective credit may be applicable based on ACE recommendations.  Credit applied directly to major requirements would be evaluated individually in consultation with the specific academic programs.

2. Apply for your GI Benefits.

There is a wide a variety of education benefits offered by the Veterans Administration. Additionally, Wisconsin offers varying opportunities to National Guardsmen (some of the benefits come with different levels of eligibility). Whether you are a reservist, in the National Guard, or on active duty, you should check the VA website or contact your local county Veterans Services Office to review your options. 

  • This process takes between 4-8 weeks to complete (continue with the steps for admittance in the interim).

3. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

In addition to VA benefits, Federal, state and institutional financial aid programs may be available to help cover the cost of attendance.

  • VA benefits DO NOT count against your financial aid eligibility.
  • Apply for the FAFSA even if the priority deadline has passed. There may still be funding available.

4. Accept Offer of Admission!

Once you have received notice of admission and financial aid award, you must accept the offer of admission and confirm your intent to enroll.

 5. Register for classes. Call the office of Admissions at 262-524-7208 (locally) or 1-800-CARROLL (toll free) to set up a registration appointment.

  • Appointments should be scheduled with your admission counselor
  • Registration for classes is on a first-come, first-serve basis

6. Submit Certificate of Eligibility.

Once you receive your notice of benefit eligibility, make an appointment with the Veteran's Certifying Official in the Registrar's office at 262.524-7208 or

  • Bring a COPY of the Certificate of Eligibility from the VA as well as a copy of your DD-214.
  • The Certifying Official will review benefit coverage and refer you to the Financial Aid Office for any circumstances of coverage that is less than 100%.

 NOTE: Upon the recommendation of the Veteran's Certifying Official, the Financial Aid office will implement the Yellow Ribbon benefits after Carroll Aid, scholarships and grants have been exhausted.